Vegan Pea Soup
I created this spring vegan pea soup in collaboration with Coyuchi to celebrate this lush season. It's super easy to put together and is loaded with bright fresh springtime flavors, including fresh mint, lemon zest, and creamy coconut milk to round it off. I was so inspired by these flavors I had to make a video of this recipe for my youtube channel, which you can watch below.
Fresh or Frozen Peas
You can use either fresh or frozen green peas as the base of this delicious and simple soup. It is so easy and quick to prepare for a nutritious lunch or dinner an day of the week.
To clean leeks remove the outer leaves then slice them into thin rings and submerge them in a bowl of water. Use your hands to agitate the leeks and water which will shake loose and remove any sand from the leeks. Then let them sit and float to the top of the water. Give them a minute so that the sand will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Then scoop out the leeks carefully as to not disturb the sediment that has fallen to the bottom of the bowl. Dry the cleaned leeks in a towel.
Vegan Pea Soup with Leeks and Seared Mushrooms
- 2 cups shelled green peas fresh or frozen
- 1 cup leeks cleaned and chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 leaves fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley loosely packed
- 1 cup bunapi mushrooms
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup pea shoots loosely packed
- Heat saucepan on medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté leeks and garlic until slightly browned about 3 minutes.
- Add salt, chili flakes, a pinch of black pepper, water, and peas and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low boil and cook peas until tender, 5-8 minutes.
- While peas are cooking, sear mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a hot skillet.
- When peas are cooked purée soup with mint and parsley leaves in a blender and then return soup to the pot and let it come to a simmer. Remove from heat and serve hot.
- Serve soup in bowls topped with fresh coconut milk, seared mushrooms, and fresh mint leaves and/or pea shoots to garnish.
- Store soup in a covered container int he refrigerator and use within 3 days. Reheat to serve.
- Bunapi mushrooms can be swapped with enoki, shiitake, or button mushrooms.