Grilled Potato Skewers
These baby potato skewers are the perfect summer side dish to make right on the grill alongside whatever main protein you are grilling at the moment. They go great with meat, fish and chicken. Grilling potatoes gives them a smokey flavor and saves you from turning on your oven during hot weather.
I shared this recipe last summer on my Instagram feed as part of a collaboration with The Little Potato Co. and featured their yummy Creamer potatoes in the post. I wanted to give this recipe a permanent home on my blog because it is so yummy and perfect for this time of year.
Grilled Potato Skewers Questions:
What potatoes are the best for grilling?
Whole baby potatoes are the best for this recipe. I like baby gold potatoes the best but white, red, or blue potatoes will all work well in this recipe.
Why do you parboil the potatoes?
Cooking the potatoes in boiling water for about 4minutes (parboiling) will speed up the cooking time on the grill and give the potatoes a super creamy and fluffy center inside the charred crispy grilled potato skins.
Can I use other herbs instead of rosemary?
Yes, try and woody hearty herb to relace rosemary. Thyme or sage are both good options.
For more summer side dishes check out these recipes:
- Summer Tomato Corn and Peach Salad
- Vegan Street Corn (Elotes) with Avocado Aioli
- Rustic Heirloom Tomato Tart with Thyme Crust – Vegan
- Summer Corn Edamame Succotash
- Rainbow Summer Rolls
- Spring Potato Salad
Love this recipe?
If you made my Grilled Potato Skewers recipe I would love to hear your feedback! Please leave a star-rating review of the recipe and let me know what you think in a comment below. This small act is a great way to show your support for the food blogs you read and love. Please tag me in your photos on Instagram so I can see your creations. I might miss it if you only tag me the caption because those notifications fall off quickly, but I can always find it if I’m tagged in the photo itself.
- 1.5 lb baby potatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat your grill or you can also roast them in the oven at 425˚F.
- Add Creamer potatoes to a 4 quart saucepan and cover them with about 2 inches of cold water. Bring the pot to a rolling boil and parboil potatoes for 4 minutes. Drain and cool potatoes for about 10 minutes before handling them.
- Meanwhile peel and chop the onion into large chunks, about 1” pieces.
- Add parboiled potatoes and chopped onion to a large bowl and toss them in the olive oil, minced rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Skewer the potatoes and onions.
- Grill potato skewers over medium heat until they are tender with some charred spots/grill marks, about 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, roast potato skewers on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet at 425˚F for about 15-20 minutes until nicely browned. Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links to ingredients and products relevant to this recipe. If you choose to purchase linked products I would earn a modest commission, which helps offset the costs of keeping Fare Isle going. Learn more about my affiliate policy here. Thank you for your continued support!