Hello August! This month is always a whir for me because we are neck deep in private dinner bookings. To be honest we don’t eat very well when we are “booked and busy“. There’s been lots of take out and too many sandwiches, I’m embarrassed to say. (Although, I do love a sandwich.) When we do come up for air I’m usually too tired to cook or bake for ourselves, which is not good during peak local produce harvest time, ya feel me? Anyway, quick, easy and simple dishes that basically just showcase said beautiful local produce are my saving grace right now.
scroll for recipe…
Keep It Simple
This salad is a celebration of summer at its peak. Fresh local sweet corn, juicy flavorful heirloom tomatoes, ripe bursting local peaches, fresh fragrant basil, and a little raw fennel and red onion for crunch all make for one delicious summer plate. This salad comes together in minutes and is best enjoyed outside in the shade, with a nice glass of vino and some crusty bread.
Local is Best
Shop for the most local produce you can find for the best flavor. Not to mention, you’ll also be supporting your local farmers and economy. This summer tomato, corn and peach salad is a great side dish for summer cookouts and gatherings. Make it for lunch or invite some friends over. Feel free to add some fresh mozzarella or burrata. My vegan almond ricotta would also go great with this salad.
- 1 ear of sweet corn
- 2 lbs of mixed heirloom tomatoes
- 2-3 ripe peaches
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons high quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- fennel fronds for garnish
- Bring about 3-4" of water to boil in a 3-qt. sauce pan. Shuck corn and add it to the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook corn for 5 minutes with the cover on.
- Remove corn from the water and allow it to cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/3-1/2" thick slices and arrange on a platter or large plate.
- Cut each peach into 8 wedges and arrange them over tomatoes, tucking some under so tomatoes still show through.
- Thinly slice fennel and red onion and arrange them randomly between tomatoes and peaches.
- Lay corn flat on a cutting board, and using a chef's knife, cut the kernels off the cob on one side. Then rotate corn and cut again, continuing all the way around the cob.
- Tuck the segments of corn kernels into the salad.
- Add fresh basil leaves and fennel fronds to the salad.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar all over the salad.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
Prop Love: Platter and plate by ANK Ceramics. Slotted spoon by Facture Goods. Table linen by Nade Studio.