I’m so ready for a winter reboot. Give me all the salads please. This watermelon radish, citrus fennel beauty turned my winter blues in to winter sunshine. (no shame in my cheesy game)
I found watermelon radishes when we were in Maine last month and had to bring some home since I’ve never seen them on Nantucket. I’ve tried to grow them in the past but did they didn’t do well. They are mild in flavor and spiciness as far as radishes go but are so so beautiful, making this colorful salad was a welcome sight on grey winter’s day. I added juicy carambola (star fruit) and sweet citrusy kumquats, sugar snap peas and avocado over a base of shaved fennel and radicchio. But can we just talk about the dressing for a moment… passion fruit is amazing in dressing. I already know this dressing will be put on repeat as long as I can find passion fruits in the market. (Note about passion fruit: they are ripe when they are very wrinkled.) It’s tangy with a tropical vibe that uplifts those funky winter moods we are apt to get this time of year on an island nicknamed the “grey lady”.
Click through to Coyuchi to get the full recipe!
More delicious salad recipes
- Rösti with Smoked Salmon and Beetroot Salad
- Spring Potato Salad
- Blood Orange, Roasted Beet, Lentil & Barley Salad – Vegan
- Vegan fall Harvest Bulgur wheat Salad
- Summer Tomato Corn and Peach Salad
- Vegan Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Orange Maple Vinaigrette
- Winter Rainbow Salad Stuffed Roasted Butternut Squash
- Recipe: Blood Orange & Fennel Salad
Love This Recipe
Please leave a star rating of the recipe and let me know what you think in a comment below. This small act is a great way to show your support for the food blogs you read and love.
Tag @fareisle in your photos on Instagram with #fareisle so I can see your creations!
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 large watermelon radish thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula or shredded radicchio
- 6 kumquats
- 1 large star fruit
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or sunflower seeds
- Blanch snap or snow peas in boiling water for 1 minute, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking process. Open and split the the snap peas into halves to reveal the peas inside.
- Use a mandolin to very thinly slice (or shave) the watermelon radish and fennel bulb. Slice kumquats and star fruit.
- Peel and remove seed from avocado. To make an avocado rose, thinly slice avocado halves and fan out slices into a long snake-like strip. Then curl the strip into itself and carefully wrap it around into a spiral/rose shape.
- Arrange radicchio or arugula onto a large platter. Then arrange the peas, radish, fennel, kumquats, star fruit on top of the lettuce. Place avocado rose in center and sprinkle seeds over the top of salad.
- Make dressing: Cut open the passion fruit and scoop out center including seeds into a blender. Add rest of dressing ingredients and blend until emulsified, creamy and smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad just before serving and eat right away.
- Store leftover salad in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.