This incredibly delicious and creamy strawberry ice cream has an intense fresh strawberry flavor. It’s made with simple ingredients like fresh strawberries and full fat coconut milk. But what sets this vegan ice cream recipe apart from others is that it is sweetened with strawberry jam which gives it a deep strawberry flavor. It is hands down the best vegan strawberry ice cream recipe you’ll find. This recipe can be made in an ice cream machine or as a no churn recipe.
We’ve been in strawberry heaven for about 2 weeks now and I just don’t want it to ever end. I know you know what I mean. Sweet sun ripened strawberries fresh picked off the vine are one of the best things about summer. We always load up at the local PYO farms and gorge on fresh berries, freeze a bunch for smoothies, and make pies, jam, all the baked goods. This dairy free strawberry ice cream recipe is another perfect way to use fresh picked strawberries while they are in season and tastes better than anything you can find at the grocery store.
This vegan strawberry ice cream has a true taste of strawberries. No artificial flavors or colors. No skimping on the strawberry flavor. The secret ingredient??? Use strawberry jam (homemade if you can) as the sweetener for the ice cream. It will add the most intense strawberry flavor plus the perfect amount of sweetness in addition to chopped up bits of fresh strawberries and a generous ripple of more strawberry jam throughout.
Table of contents
Strawberries – Use fresh strawberries when they are in season for the best flavor. Frozen strawberries can be used when strawberries are out of season. Substitutions: Try this recipe with other berries like blackberries or raspberries or stone fruits like peaches or apricots to make other fruit flavored dairy free ice cream recipes.
Strawberry Jam – For the best strawberry ice cream use a high quality strawberry jam, preferably homemade. Avoid jams or preserves made with artificial flavors or high fructose corn syrup. Substitutions: Strawberry fruit preserves or strawberry jelly may be used in place of strawberry jam. Try other fruit flavors like blackberry or raspberry to make other vegan ice cream flavors.
Coconut Milk – Use full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream for the main ingredient of the ice cream base. Coconut milk has a creamier texture compared to other plant based milks and will create creamy ice cream comparable to traditional ice cream. You’ll need 2 cans of coconut milk for this recipe and there is no ned to chill them before hand. The coconut flavor is subtle and will be barely noticeable with the intense strawberry flavor of this ice cream.
Guar Gum – Guar gum is a safe, all-natural and flavorless thickener and stabilizer derived from guar beans and is used in many food products. You’ll often find it as an ingredient in diary and non-dairy ice cream and canned coconut milk. It is available at most large grocery stores with a health food or gluten free isle. It helps to keep the ice cream from forming ice crystals or an icy texture, especially if making no churn strawberry ice cream. Substitutions: If you can’t find guar gum then just leave it out. Most canned coconut milk will have guar gum as an ingredient any way.
Strawberry Liqueur or Vodka – Adding a touch of alcohol will inhibit ice crystals from forming in the ice cream mixture and help create perfect creamy ice cream, especially if making the no churn method.
How To Make Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
Step 1: Make the ice cream base
Blend the ice cream base ingredients together in a regular blender until they form a silky smooth mixture. Transfer the mixture to mixing bowl or an ice cream maker bowl and refrigerate it for 1 hour until it is chilled and has the consistency of pudding or custard.
Step 2: Churn or No Churn
Ice cream maker method: Follow manufacturer’s instructions and recommended time for churning. Towards the end of churning time add the minced strawberries with machine running to incorporate them evenly into the vegan ice cream. With the machine still running spoon in more strawberry jam to create a strawberry ripple throughout the ice cream. Transfer the churned ice cream to a freezer-safe container and freeze it until it solid for about 1-2 hours.
No churn method: Fold in the minced strawberries to the chilled ice cream base using a rubber spatula. Spread into a standard loaf pan. Dollop spoonfuls of strawberry jam over the top of ice cream and use a butter knife to swirl it into the base to create a marbled/ripple effect. Place a piece of parchment paper over ice cream and freeze until solid 1-2 hours before scooping.
Step 3: Freeze the homemade ice cream
Freeze the ice cream until it is solid before scooping it. When it’s ready to serve, remove the container from freezer and let sit for 10 minutes at room temp. Dip an ice cream scoop into warm water first to help scoop the ice cream. Serve in cones or in bowls with your favorite toppings.
How to Store Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Store homemade vegan ice cream in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months. Plastic pint and quart deli containers work well for freezing foods.
Yes, this recipe is gluten free. Just be sure to check the labels of the coconut milk and strawberry jam to ensure they are gluten free.
I haven’t tried other non dairy milk in this recipe because coconut milk is the creamiest option and makes ice cream similar to traditional ice cream made with heavy cream. If you use almond milk or oat milk the ice cream may have an icy texture instead of a creamy texture. The coconut milk flavor is very mild in this recipe because the strawberry flavor is so intense.
The best way to make soft serve style vegan ice cream is with a soft serve ice cream maker. If you use a regular ice cream machine like a Cuisinart ice cream make the texture of the ice cream after its churned is similar to soft serve but will harden once it freezes. You can east it right away for a soft serve texture.
Yes, replace the strawberries and strawberry jam with other fresh fruits and fruit preserves such as raspberry, blackberry, peach, apricot, fig, plum, etc.
More Delicious strawberry recipes
- Vegan Lilac Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
- Strawberry Shortcake Cake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
- Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Frangipane Galettes
- Strawberry Elderflower Gin Smash
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a star rating of the recipe and let me know what you think in a comment below. This small act is a great way to show your support for the food blogs you read and love.
Tag @fareisle in your photos on Instagram with #fareisle so I can see your creations!
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk, 27 fl oz total 770g or 3.5 cups of homemade coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam divided
- 1 cup minced strawberries
- 1 whole vanilla bean, seeds scraped from or 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla or vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon strawberry liqueur or vodka optional
Homemade Strawberry Jam
- 1360 g fresh strawberries stems and leaves removed, 2 quarts, 3 lbs, 8 cups
- 1200 g granulated sugar 6 cups
- 1 whole vanilla bean, seeds scraped from
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice juice from 1 lemon
- Blend coconut milk, guar gum, 1/2 cup strawberry jam, vanilla bean seeds and strawberry liqueur or vodka (if using) until silky smooth, about 30-60 seconds on high speed. Pour ice cream base into bowl, cover and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. After ice cream base has chilled it should be the consistency of pudding.
- Ice cream maker method: Pour base into the bowl of ice cream maker. Follow manufacturer’s instructions and recommended time for churning. Towards the end of churning time add minced strawberries with machine running to incorporate them evenly into the ice cream. With the machine still running drizzle in remaining 1/4 cup strawberry jam to create the ripple effect. Remove bowl from ice cream maker, cover and freeze until solid, 1-2 hours.
- No churn method: Fold in the minced strawberries to the chilled ice cream base using a rubber spatula. Spread into a standard loaf pan. Dollop remaining 1/4 cup of strawberry jam over the top of ice cream and use a butter knife to swirl it into the base and create marbled/ripple effect. Place a piece of parchment paper over ice cream. Freeze until solid 1-2 hours before scooping.
- When ready to serve, remove ice cream from freezer and let sit for 10 minutes at room temp. Dip an ice cream scoop into warm water first to help scoop the ice cream. Serve in cones or in bowls with your favorite toppings.
Homemade Strawberry Jam
- Puree whole strawberries in a high-speed blender until they are smooth. Don’t strain off the blended seeds because they will thicken the jam. Add strawberry puree, sugar, vanilla seeds, and lemon juice to a 4-6 quart sized pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then lower to medium heat and reduce until the jam sticks to the back of a spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Fill clean jars with the jam, seal and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or fill freezer safe containers/bags and store for up to 6 months in the freezer. Or fill sterilized jars, seal and can them in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes in a covered pot. Then turn off heat, remove pot lid and let them sit in water for 5 minutes. Remove jars from water and let them cool to room temp. Check the seal and store away from heat and light for up to 1 year.
- Store ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Guar gum is an all natural flavorless thickener and stabilizer derived from guar beans used in food products. You’ll often find it as an ingredient in diary and non-dairy ice cream and canned coconut milk. It is available at most large grocery stores with a health food or gluten free isle. It helps to keep the ice cream from forming ice crystals.
- The addition of vodka or strawberry infused liqueur will also help to keep ice crystals from forming.