Thank you Prairie Organic Spirits for sponsoring this post. The contents of this post and the products named are only intended for persons of legal drinking age (21+) and should not be forwarded, shared or otherwise distributed to any underaged persons. Prairie Organic Spirits reminds you to please enjoy their products responsibly.
I’m back with another fun summer cocktail recipe in partnership with Prairie Organic Spirits! This time I reached for their award-winning farm-crafted Prairie Organic Gin to create a sweet fresh fruit infused summer drink with, yep you guessed it, another edible floral twist. This Strawberry Elderflower Gin Smash brings out the naturally refreshing bursts of herbs, sage, juniper and exotic spices of Prairie Organic Gin with flavors that are the perfect complement to its long, delicate finish.
The height of summer is the perfect time to use the season’s bountiful fresh fruits in your drink recipes. I love a classic gin smash cocktail and since elderflowers are in full bloom all over the island I thought they would make an excellent addition to this refreshing beverage. Elderflowers are the flowers of the elderberry plant and have long been used to make drinks like elderflower cordial and elderflower champagne for example. Infusing the blooms into a simple syrup is an easy way to extract their subtle floral fragrance and delicate taste. They are a natural pairing for sweet summer strawberries and together the flavor combo pops with the addition of Prairie Organic smooth tasting gin.
The distinct taste of Prairie Organic Spirits can be traced back through a detailed process that starts with the very best organic corn grown by Minnesota family farmers. From there, master distillers turn the farmers’ superior corn into truly one-of-a-kind tasting spirits. You can actually taste the passion for craftsmanship at the core of the Prairie Organics brand, including all of the farm-to-bottle ingredients that go into every batch of spirits. It’s so nice to find quality organic offerings in the spirits space and even nicer to know that the brand behind them supports sustainable family farms.
Hop over to Prairie Organic’s site to learn more about their farm-crafted spirits, the family farmers growing exceptional ingredients for each batch, and the entire fascinating process of producing organic spirits from seed to bottle.
Recipe after the jump…
Strawberry Elderflower Gin Smash
- 4 fl. oz. Prairie Organic Gin chilled
- ½ cup of sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons elderflower simple syrup or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 fl. oz. seltzer water or club soda
- elderflower ice cubes and mint for serving
- Add sliced strawberries, elderflower simple syrup and lemon juice to a pitcher and muddle everything together with a long spoon.
- Pour in Prairie Organics Gin and sleazier or cub soda and give a quick stir.
- Fill 2 cocktail glasses with elderflower ice cubes. Pour cocktail in to glasses and garnish with mint sprigs. Serve immediately and enjoy responsibly.
- To make elderflowers ice cubes simply place some elderflowers and other edible flowers or herbs into each cube of an ice cube tray. Fill cubes with water and freeze until solid, about 2 hours.
- Try fruit flavored seltzer waters to add another layer of flavor to the cocktail.
Elderflower Simple Syrup
- 3 large flowering heads of elderflower
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- lemon peel of 1 lemon
- Gently shake elderflower heads to remove any dirt or insects. Pick elderflowers off of stems and place into a clean quart sized jar. Discard stems. Boil water and pour over elderflowers. Cover jar and steep overnight at room temperature for most concentrated flavor.
- Strain elderflower infusion into a saucepan, pressing out all of the liquid from petals. Add sugar and bring to boil to dissolve. Remove from heat and pour into a clean bottle or jar and cover. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.