Snack time! These baked root veggie fries are a mix of sweet and earthy carrots, parsnips and beets. A light coating of seasoned organic cornstarch helps to give them crunch and they pair perfectly with hummus or my easy vegan queso dip. These fries are a perfect afternoon snack or another yummy option for your party table.
Table of contents
Carrots – Vibrant orange carrots add a sweet crunch to these root vegetable fries.
Parsnips – Parsnips add an earthy sweet crunch. They are closely related to carrots and parsley and have a taste that is a mix of the two.
Beets – Dark red beets add color and an earthy sweet flavor to these mixed veggie fries.
Olive oil – A dash of extra-virgin olive oil adds flavor and help give the baked veggie fries a crispy exterior.
Cornstarch – (aka cornflour in Europe) Lightly coating the root vegetables in cornstarch helps to give the an extra crispy and crunchy bite when baked. Substitutions: Potato starch will also work.
Seasonings – These savory veggie fries don’t need much seasoning because they are already so flavorful. Add a dash of salt, black pepper and paprika. Substitutions: Add any seasonings you like. Garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper, etc. are all great options!
How to Make Roasted Vegetable Fries
Step 1: Prep the Veggie Fries
First preheat your oven and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Wash, peel and cut the root vegetables into strips the szie of classic French fries, roughly 1/3″ thick.
Coat the veggie strips in the oil, cornstarch and seasonings then spread them out into one even layer on the baking sheet.
Step 2: Bake the Vegetable Fries
Bake the root veggie fries for about 30 minutes, turning them over with a spatula halfway through the cook time. They are ready when the are crispy, golden brown and cooked through.
Enjoy them immediately while they are still hot from the oven.
Store leftover fries in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat to serve.
How to Freeze Vegetable fries
To make these veggie fries ahead of time and freeze them, spread them out onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan after they are seasoned. Then flash freeze them on the baking tray until they are frozen through.
Transfer the frozen vegetable fries to a freezer bag, label it with the date and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Bake them straight from the freezer and add another 10 minutes or so to the baking time.
To cook veggie fries in an air fryer, bake them at the same temperature as in the recipe card and shake them every 5 minutes until they are cooked through and crispy, about 20 minutes.
Follow this recipe but omit the cornstarch. The veggies fries won’t be asa crispy but will still taste the same.
More Tasty Snacks Recipes to Try
- Crispy Smashed Potato and Smoked Salmon Bites
- Jalapeño Popper Arancini
- Vegetarian Jalapeño and Cheddar Sausage Rolls
- Loaded Tex-Mex Sweet Potato Fries
- Vegan Sweet Potato Nachos
- Easy Vegan Queso – Nut Free
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a star rating of the recipe and let me know what you think in a comment below. This small act is a great way to show your support for the food blogs you read and love.
Tag @fareisle in your photos on Instagram with #fareisle so I can see your creations!
Easy Baked Root Veggie Fries Recipe
- 3 large parsnips peeled
- 3 large carrots peeled
- 2 large beets peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut parsnips, carrots and beets into 1/3" thick strips, resembling french fries.
- Toss the cut vegetables in oil, cornstarch and seasonings and arrange them into a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 425˚F for about 30 minutes, turning them once with a spatula 1/2 through cooking time, until they are golden brown and crispy. Serve them right away with your favorite dipping sauce.
- These veggie fries are best eaten hot out of the oven.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat to serve.
- To cook veggie fries in an air fryer, bake them at the same temperature and shake them every 5 minutes until they are cooked through and crispy, about 20 minutes.
Join the conversation