Thank you Rio Luna Organic Peppers for sponsoring this post!
My favorite part about the Superbowl or any Game Day watch party is the snack table. So when the lovely folks at Rio Luna Organic Peppers asked me to create some yummy Game Day apps featuring their zesty organic chile peppers I did my own end-zone happy dance.
scroll for recipe…
Click on the video below to watch me make these spicy Vegetarian Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage Rolls sausage rolls from start to finish.
These spicy Vegetarian Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage Rolls are so flavorful with a nice spicy kick. It’s very hard to stop eating them. The crunch of the flaky pastry, the savory plant-based sausage, gooey cheddar and spicy flavorful jalapeños are everything I want in a party appetizer.
Vegetarian Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage Rolls are very easy to make with the use of frozen puff pastry, store-bought plant-based sausage and a can of Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños. I’ve been loving the new plant-based meat options available in grocery stores now and usually keep a pack on hand in the freezer. You can use any type of sausage you like in these be that meat or veggie based. These sausage rolls can also easily be made vegan by using frozen vegan puff pastry (hint: most store-bought options actually are vegan anyway), vegan cheese shreds, and non-dairy milk instead of egg.
I used Rio Luna Organic Hot and Sweet Jalapeño Slices to garnish each mini sausage roll to add even more spicy flavor and eye-appeal along with a light sprinkling of sesame seeds, which are a traditional topping for sausage rolls.
Adding spice, flavor and heat to your meals and recipes is easy with with Rio Luna Organic Peppers. Their peppers are always certified organic, GMO-free, kosher, fat free, low calorie and cholesterol free and their new labels feature a special heat index meter so you know how much heat you’re adding to a recipe or dish. Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños added just the right amount of spice and heat to these sausage rolls, but if you have milder tastes try swapping them out with their Organic Diced Green Chiles.
Rio Luna Organics works closely with growers utilizing sustainable farming practices like drip irrigation, recycling initiatives and crop rotation to produce high-quality peppers that are full of flavor and good for the earth.
Vegetarian Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage Rolls are
Quick & Easy
A Game Day Favorite
Vegetarian Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage Rolls
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry thawed
- 4 14 oz. 400g plant-based sausages
- 1 4 oz. can of Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños
- 4 oz. good cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 egg
- 18 slices of Rio Luna Hot and Sweet Jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (204˚C) and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Remove plant-based sausages from casings and add to a bowl.
- Open can of Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños , drain and mix into plant-based sausage.
- Lightly flour work surface and cut thawed but still cold puff pastry sheet in half.
- Spread a layer of shredded cheddar cheese down the center of each rectangular piece of puff pastry dough. Then layer half of the sausage-jalapeño mix on each piece and use form it into a tight log with your hands. Cover the sausage with more cheddar cheese.
- Press and thin out the long sides of the puff pastry with your finger tips.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat it with a fork then brush the beaten egg onto one long side of each rectangle.
- Roll the dry long side of each rectangle up and over the sausage and seal it with the side brushed with egg. Pull and stretch the dough and pinch to seal.
- Brush top of each roll with beaten egg and place 9 slices of Rio Luna Hot and Sweet Jalapeños in a line down the top of the roll. Then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to slice through the roll and create 9 mini rolls with the jalapeno slices as your guide. They should be in the center of each mini roll.
- Arrange sausage rolls seam side down on the prepared sheet pan and bake at 400˚F (204˚C) for about 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the inside filling is cooked through.
- Best eaten hot from oven. Leftovers will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 2-3- days. Reheat to serve.
Cilantro Lime Crema Dipping Sauceprint recipe pin recipe
- 4 oz 113 g or 1/2 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- salt to taste
- Stir all the ingredients together and serve in a bowl.
- Keep refrigerated, covered and use within 3 days.
Be sure to follow Rio Luna Organic Peppers on Facebook and Instagram to learn how to unlock the power of peppers and to discover recipes and entertainment tips! Available for purchase at Whole Foods nationwide, and for my Massachusetts followers you can also visit Shaws and Hannaford.
This post was in collaboration with and sponsored by Rio Luna Organics. All content and opinions expressed here are my own. Read more about my sponsored post and affiliate policy here.
Join the conversation