Is anyone else in shock that Thanksgiving is next week already??? I’m still in planning (read: stressing) mode and I think this Cranberry Pear Galette will definitely be gracing our Thanksgiving menu this year.
I love galettes because they are easier to put together than a double crust pie and look beautiful with either a rustic style or fancy decorated crust. Loaded with sweet pears and tart cranberries with a little zing from orange zest and fresh ginger, this galette hits all the right notes for the season.
More Simple and Delicious Galette Recipes
- Stone Fruit Galette
- Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
- Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Frangipane Galettes
- Vegan Hidden Rose Apple Galette
- Vegan Summer Berry and Fig Galette Recipe
- Rustic Heirloom Tomato Tart with Thyme Crust – Vegan
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a star rating of the recipe and let me know what you think in a comment below. This small act is a great way to show your support for the food blogs you read and love.
Tag @fareisle in your photos on Instagram with #fareisle so I can see your creations!
Vegan Cranberry Pear Galette Recipe
- 210 g all purpose flour 1-1/2 cups, or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 113 g vegan butter 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 large bosc pears
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 200 g whole cane sugar or granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest from 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 vanilla bean split, or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Vegan Egg Wash
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
Prepare Pastry Dough
- Whisk flour and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Cut shortening and olive oil into flour mixture using your clean hands or a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork after each addition until dough holds together when squeezed in your hand. *The total amount of ice water needed will change depending on the weather, climate, humidity, season, etc.
- Form dough into a disc and cover with wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Assemble the Galette
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out pastry dough on a floured surface to a 1/8″ thick circle. Trim and gather edges, reworking them into a disc to use for making decorations for the crust. Roll extra dough and cut out decorations with cookie cutters or freestyle using a knife or exact-o-knife. Roll up crust gently onto rolling pin and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Cut pears in half lengthwise, keeping the stem intact on one half. Remove seeds with a paring knife or melon scoop. Thinly slice pear halves that have the intact stems, so as to keep the slices attached, and then fan them out. Thinly slice the other two pear halves and set pears aside.
- Mix together remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Spoon mixture onto the center of the pie crust, leaving a 2" overhang of crust, and saving some of the mixture to drizzle over pears after you arrange them.
- Arrange pears over the cranberry mixture, fanning and spreading them out. Fold the edges of the crust over the filling, tucking and overlapping as needed. Drizzle the remaining cranberry mixture over the pears.
- Brush crust with non-dairy milk and attach the decoration cut-outs. Brush the tops of decorations with non-diary milk.
- Bake at 375˚F for 45-50 minutes on the middle or upper third rack, until galette is bubbling and pears are fork tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack for 30 minutes before cutting, so filling sets. Serve warmed or at room temperature. Remove split vanilla bean when serving.
- This galette will keep covered at room temperature for 1-2 days or refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Join the conversation