This simple and cozy vegan apple crumble is the perfect dessert for chilly fall days. The buttery streusel topping is crispy and soaks up the jammy juices from the delicious spiced apple filling. Serve it up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and tuck in!
I’ve got one more apple recipe for you before I start posting new holiday themed recipes and DIY gift ideas. This rustic apple crumble is a keeper though and we’ve been making and eating it all fall and will most likely continue to do so though the chilly winter months ahead. It’s seriously so easy and perfect for those times when you don’t have the time or energy to make, roll out and decorate pie crusts. The “crust” is turned into flaky crunchy crumbles. And you won’t have to worry about soggy bottom crusts.
Tart apples are best here to balance out the sweetness of the sugar. I’ve been using a mix of heirloom baking apples but Granny Smith apples will do just fine. The aromas of vanilla and cinnamon will fill your home while this is baking. Eat it hot of the oven and don’t forget a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Put it together and bake it while dinner is cooking for an easy Sunday dessert.
This is the crumble I’ve been making on my instagram story all fall and so many of you have asked for the recipe. Thanks for your patience! I kept making it after daylight was fading so it never got photographed. I finally baked it early in the day this week especially for the blog.
Hope you love it as much as we do!
recipe after the jump…
More Delicious Apple Desserts
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a star rating of the recipe and let me know what you think in a comment below. This small act is a great way to show your support for the food blogs you read and love.
Tag @fareisle in your photos on Instagram with #fareisle so I can see your creations!
Rustic Vegan Apple Crumble Recipe
- 3 lbs tart apples about 8
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or vegan shortening
- 2-4 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a sheet pan with tin foil to catch drippings just in case the crumble filling bubbles over the sides while baking.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples and toss in lemon juice in a mixing bowl to keep them from browning. Coat apple slices in sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract and add the mixture to a baking dish or pie plate.
- In a separate bowl stir flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon together with a fork. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs with some pea sized bits. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time and stir with a fork until topping comes together into shaggy/lumpy crumbles.
- Cover apples with crumble topping and bake at 400˚F for 40 minutes until juices are bubbling and apples are soft.
- Serve hot or warm with a scoop of vanilla bean coconut ice cream. Enjoy!
- Leftover crumble will keep covered at room temperature overnight or for several days refrigerated.
Join the conversation