We harvested the last of the spring peas today! So we had to make something delicious with them… This creamy pea pesto sauce was a perfect finale.
This pesto is protein packed with peas, hemp seeds and tofu. While we waited for the pasta to cook, we spread some pesto on bread and I have to say, it makes an amazing dip/spread. I will be making this again for party food.
This was the perfect lunch after working in the garden all morning. Love this season of abundance! What are you making from your gardens/local farms right now?
Creamy Pea Pesto
- Steam peas for 3-5 minutes until bright green and tender. Run cooked peas under cold tap water to stop them from cooking further. Reserve 1/2 cup of peas for plating.
To use as a pasta sauce:
- This recipe will dress 1lb of pasta.
- Cook pasta al dente in salted water. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water.
- Place pesto into a large bowl and add enough pasta water to loosen it up and create a very loose and runny sauce. Don't worry the pasta will absorb the liquid. I add 1 cup of pasta water to start and then add more if it needs.
- Toss pasta and sauce together until pasta in evenly coated. Transfer pasta to a serving platter. Garnish with reserved peas, fresh basil leaves and a sprinkling of hemp seeds and pepperoncino flakes.