I shared this recipe for Vegan Sweet Chili Tofu on instagram recently and wanted to give it a home here on the blog with the rest of my recipes. I figured it would be easier for you to find here too. This recipe is so simple and so good. It’s been in the weeknight meal rotation since I posted it. The tofu is extra crispy thanks to a light coating of cornstarch, and then gets smothered in a delicious sweet spicy sauce that takes only 5 minutes to prep. The cornstarch also acts as a thickener as the sauce cooks in the pan so you end up with a thick luscious sauce. So, if you’re looking for a quick meal tonight I’ve got you covered. I like to serve this vegan sweet chili tofu over sticky rice or noodles and is great the next day for packed lunches as well.
scroll down for recipe…
Vegan Sweet Chili Tofu
- 1 16 oz block of pressed extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup cornstarch/cornflour (organic non-GMO
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 red chile pepper such as cayenne with most of seeds removed
- 1/2 of a sweet red pepper seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari/soy sauce/aminos
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon siracha or ketchup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions
- Cut tofu into 1” cubes and dredge with cornstarch.
- Puree everything else except for olive oil in a blender until smooth. Sauce will be very runny at this point.
- Heat a non-stick or cast iron skillet on medium high heat. When pan is hot add olive oil and pan fry the tofu for about 10 minutes until evenly browned, turning with a spatula every so often.
- At this point pour sauce over tofu and stir until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Chop scallions and add to tofu. Serve hot over sticky rice. You can also add sesame seeds with the scallions. Leftovers will keep in airtight container refrigerated for up to 1 week. Reheat to serve.
Prop Love: Spatula by Four Leaf Woodshop. Cheese board by Sweet Gum Co. Napkin by Coyuchi. Bowl and chopsticks by Facture Goods.
Join the conversation