This post is sponsored by the National Peanut Board. I received compensation, but all opinions and content are my own.
Are you team pancakes or waffles? You know I love both, but there is something extra special about pulling out the waffle iron on weekend mornings and making crispy fluffy waffles one at a time. I love how versatile waffles are with endless flavor and topping options. These peanut butter and roasted banana waffles do not disappoint in the flavor factor.
Peanut butter is one of those quintessential American childhood foods that invokes so many food memories. Remember ants-on-a-log? I love it on toast with jelly, in cookies and ice-cream, or on its own straight from the jar. One of my favorite quick snacks is just spreading peanut butter on pieces of banana. Smooth or chunky? I like both but usually use smooth peanut butter in recipes. How ever you enjoy peanut butter, you cannot go wrong with this classic ingredient that is not only tasty but very affordable, versatile and nutritious. In fact, with each two tablespoon serving of peanut butter you’ll fuel your body with eight powerful grams of protein, two grams of filling fiber and twelve grams of unsaturated fat.
Packed with Flavor
Roasting ripe bananas with dark sugar until they start to caramelize really brings out a deep nutty caramel flavor that pairs perfectly with rich and creamy peanut butter. Combined these flavors make for some ultra-scrumptious waffles. Slather them in more peanut butter sweetened with maple syrup for an unforgettable breakfast!
Vegan Peanut Butter Roasted Banana Waffles
- Roasted Bananas:2 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or whole cane sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
- Waffles:1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or whole cane sugar
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 roasted bananas
- Maple Peanut Butter Topping:½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- Roast Bananas:Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut bananas in half lengthwise. Then line halves up on baking sheet, cut side up.
- Sprinkle bananas evenly with sugar and spices.
- Bake at 400˚F for 15 minutes until bananas are caramelized.
- Prepare Topping:Whisk together peanut butter, water and maple syrup until smooth.
- Prepare Waffles:Preheat waffle iron.
- Whisk together flours, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl or large measuring cup.
- Whisk together peanut butter, sugar, milk and vinegar in a separate bowl. Then mash roasted bananas into the wet mixture until evenly combined.
- Lightly coat preheated waffle iron with butter or oil of choice then spoon about ¼ cup of waffle batter onto hot waffle iron, close and cook until both sides of waffle are nicely colored with a crisp crust, about 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat until all of batter is used up.
- Keep finished waffles warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Serve waffles hot with maple peanut butter topping and fruit.
- Cooked plain waffles can be frozen in bags for up to 6 months. Reheat in toaster or oven to serve.
Looking for more fun and delicious ways to use peanut butter? Be sure to head here to find unique and tasty peanut butter recipes for every occasion!
Read more about my sponsored content policy here.