Hey cookie lovers, here’s one more scrumptious take on a classic slice and bake shortbread cookie for your holiday cookie tray.
I love a rich buttery shortbread cookie to dunk (yes… I’m a card carrying dunker) in my afternoon cuppa. These orange cranberry pistachio vegan shortbread cookies hit those holiday/winter flavor notes and are oh-so festive, speckled with red and green from the cranberries and pistachios.
Instead of rolling them in dyed sanding sugar, I made a cranberry/pistachio sugar by mixing cranberry powder and finely chopped pistachios with organic coconut sugar or cane sugar. The bright red color darkens a bit when baked but still gives a nice festive effect.
Again, happy holidays to you all! Wishing you a peaceful celebration, however you may do it, with your loved ones.
More Festive Holiday Cookies
- Molded Gingerbread Cookies
- Mushroom Cookies Recipe
- Italian Baci di Dama Cookies (Lady’s Kisses)
- Vegan Apricot and Raspberry Jam Kolache (Kołaczki) Cookies
- Vegan Vanilla Crescent Cookies (Vanilkové Rohlíčky / Vanillekipferl)
- Recipe: Vegan Linzer Cookies with Maple-Raspberry Preserves
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a star rating of the recipe and let me know what you think in a comment below. This small act is a great way to show your support for the food blogs you read and love.
Tag @fareisle in your photos on Instagram with #fareisle so I can see your creations!
- 280 g unbleached all-purpose flour 2 cups
- 150 g organic cane sugar 3/4 cup, or coocnut sugar
- 226 g softened vegan butter 1 cup or 2 sticks
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons grated orange zest from 1 orange
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachios
- ½ cup finely chopped dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cranberry powder
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- Cream butter, salt, sugar, milk, vanilla and orange zest in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour and pistachios, and cranberries and mix until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and form into two 1.5”-2” diameter logs.
- Mix reserved 2 tablespoons of sugar, reserved 2 tablespoons of chopped pistachios and cranberry powder together and spread on work surface. Roll dough logs into the cranberry sugar mixture a press lightly to coat the outside of logs.
- Wrap cookie logs in parchment or wax paper and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Or freeze the wrapped cookie dough in freezer bags to use at a later time.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Remove cookie logs from refrigerator once firm, unwrap them and slice into 1/3” thick rounds. Arrange cookies on trays, about 20 per tray (Note: if using frozen dough, allow it to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes or it might crumble if sliced directly from freezer).
- Bake at 325˚F for 25-30 minutes until edges turn golden. Remove trays from oven and allow cookies to cool on tray for 1 minute then transfer cookies to cooling racks and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.