Hey cookie lovers, here’s one more scrumptious take on a classic cookie for your holiday cookie tray.
Instead of rolling them in dyed sanding sugar, I made a cranberry/pistachio sugar by mixing cranberry powder and finely chopped pistachios with organic coconut sugar or cane sugar. The bright red color darkens a bit when baked but still gives a nice -merry- effect.
Again, happy holidays to you all! Wishing you a peaceful celebration, however you may do it, with your loved ones.
recipe after the jump…
Vegan Orange Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Yield 40 cookies
I love a rich shortbread cookie to dunk (yes... I'm a card carrying dunker) in my afternoon cuppa. These orange cranberry pistachio ones hit those holiday/winter flavor notes and look all festive-like, speckled with red and green from the cranberries and pistachios.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or organic cane sugar divided
- 1 cup vegan butter or shortening at room temp
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground vanilla (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- grated zest from 1 orange
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachios divided
- ½ cup finely chopped dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cranberry powder
- Cream butter, salt, ¾ cup sugar, milk, vanilla and orange zest in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour and pistachios, reserving 2 tablespoons, and cranberries and mix until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half and form into two 1.5”-2” diameter logs.
- Mix reserved 2 tablespoons of sugar, reserved 2 tablespoons of chopped pistachios and cranberry powder together and spread on work surface. Roll dough logs into the cranberry sugar mixture a press lightly to coat the outside of logs.
- Wrap cookie logs in parchment or wax paper and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Or freeze to use at a later time.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Remove cookie logs from refrigerator once firm and unwrap them and slice into 1/3” thick rounds. Arrange cookies on trays, about 20 per tray (Note: if using frozen dough, allow it to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes or it might crumble if sliced directly from freezer).
- Bake at 350˚F for 25-30 minutes until edges turn golden. Remove trays from oven and allow cookies to cool on tray for 1 minute then transfer cookies to cooling racks and allow them to cool to room temperature.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @fareisle on Instagram and hashtag it #fareisle.