Why hello there! I feel like it’s been ages since my last post. I guess that’s what moving and renovating during the already busy holiday season will do to you. Yes, we are alive, albeit still unpacking and finishing the kitchen renovation in our new house/studio space. We bought a house on Nantucket! Yay! We’ve been looking for years and finally found a cozy cottage on a very private lot within our budget. No more renting! No more “Nantucket Shuffle“!
We started renovating the kitchen last month and I can’t wait to show you the before and after photos. What a transformation! Still a few things to do, which I’ve been sharing behind-the-scenes snippets of on Instagram stories. Watch this space and Instagram for more renovation details if you’re like me and love that stuff.
As you may have guessed I haven’t been doing much cooking/baking of late but thankfully I shot these scrumptious vegan salted chocolate chunk cranberry walnut cookies right before our move. They are easy and dangerously delicious and make a great addition to any holiday cookie party or plate. I’m all about those ooey-gooey dark chocolate chunks and sprinkle of flaky sea salt as a final touch.
Jake, bless him, deep cleaned the old oven that was here, which I don’t think had ever been cleaned, so now I can bake up some batches of these for teacher gifts cuz I got nothing folks. I’m usually crafting up a storm, baking and making gifts but I swear if I didn’t age 5 years in the last month. Oy. I definitely need a mental health vacation (is that a thing? that should be a thing). But back to these cookies: easy, delicious and v. giftable. Amen. This recipe makes 12 cookies but can doubled, tripled, etc. for larger batches. I’ll try to post a step by step of me making these in my halfway there-new kitchen this week in stories.
I hope you all have been enjoying the holiday season. We finally got our tiny, Iley-sized tree up and decorated last weekend and put a supermarket wreath on the door. Holiday music playing all-day. Yes we are those people. “It’s the most wonderful time of the yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaar!”
scroll down for recipe…
Vegan Salted Chocolate Chunk Cranberry Walnut Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup oil such as canola or olive oil
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- pinch of flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt in a mixing bowl.
- Stir together maple syrup and oil with a fork in a separate bowl or measuring cup.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chunks, walnuts and cranberries.
- Scoop into 12 even balls spaced evenly on a sheet pan. Dip fingertips into water and flatten each cookie dough ball slightly. Then sprinkle flaky sea salt over each cookie.
- Freeze cookies on a sheet pan for 10 minutes. Then remove from freezer and bake at 350˚F for about 12-15 minutes until edges are golden brown, but centers are still soft.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack with a spatula and cool to room temperature. Then store them in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Prop Love: Wood measuring cups and cookie spatula from Polder’s Old World Market. Pinch bowl from Facture Goods. Cheese board from Sweet Gum Co. Kitchen linen from Nade Studio.
Join the conversation