Any excuse to eat more rhubarb, I'm there. I just love its complex sour flavor that comes alive with a touch of sweetness added to it. Strawberries and rhubarb go together like, well like strawberries and rhubarb.
Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat Bran Crumb Top Muffins
- 2 Cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder non-aluminum
- ¼ Cup rapadura real whole cane sugar + 1 Tablespoon (for fruit)
- 2 teaspoons flax meal
- 1 Cup unsweetened plain soymilk or milk of choice
- ½ Cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ Cup 1 medium sized stalk of rhubarb cleaned and cut into ¼" thick slices
- ½ Cup fresh strawberries chopped into ½" pieces
- Crumb Topping Ingredients
- ¼ Cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tablespoons wheat bran
- 2 Tablespoons vegan shortening I used earth balance
- 2 Tablespoons rapadura
- 1-2 Tablespoons vegan shortening for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack placed in the middle. Grease a muffin tin with vegan shortening.
- In a small bowl place 1 Tablespoon of rapadura over the fruits to bring out their juices. Set aside.
- Prepare crumb topping by cutting the vegan shortening into the flour, wheat bran, and rapadura until it resembles pea-sized crumbles. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, ¼ cup rapadura.
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl whisk together flax meal, soymilk, oil and vanilla extract until mixture is evenly incorporated.
- Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated.
- Share batter evenly between 12 muffin cups (to about ⅔ full). For fuller muffins with big muffin tops sacrifice a muffin and fill 11 to the brim.
- Spoon fruit into each cup evenly and press into batter gently.
- Spoon crumble into each cup evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer muffin tin to cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Use a butter knife to help release the muffins from the tin and place them onto the cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!