Raw Vegan Key Lime Bars
Reminiscent of key lime pie, these Raw Vegan Key Lime Bars are rich, creamy and decadent. A perfect ending to any meal and a satisfying protein-packed afternoon snack. And the best part, you feel great after eating them.print recipe
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed key lime juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup-agave syrup may be used as well
- 2/3 cup coconut cream-see notes
- 2 tsp lime zest-divided
- 2 cups pecans
- 6 medjool dates
- Soak raw cashews in cold clean water overnight at room temperature. They should plump up enough to make 2 cups of soaked nuts.
- Line an 11" x 7" or brownie sized baking pan with waxed paper so that the paper overlaps on each side.
- Process pecans and pitted dates in a food processor until the mixture will hold together in your hand.
- Press pecan-date mixture evenly into wax-paper lined pan.
- Strain and rinse cashews and blend together with lime juice, maple syrup, coconut cream and 1 tsp of lime zest in a high-speed blender, such as Vitamix, until silky smooth. Spread filling evenly over crust and sprinkle the remaining lime zest over the top.
- Freeze until firm-about 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer and let sit for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve cold. Refrigerate or freeze what you will not eat right away.
To make coconut cream chill your coconut milk overnight so that the cream separates and rises to the top, then spoon off the thick cream. The coconut cream may also be substituted with 3 Tablespoons virgin cold pressed coconut oil and 5 Tablespoons of almond milk (or milk of your choice). If you're in a hurry you can get by with soaking the cashews for at least 2 hours at room temperature. As with most raw desserts, these bars will soften at room temperature and are best eaten cold.
Join the conversation