The strawberries are in! The strawberries are in! These ruby hued jewels have heralded the arrival of beloved summer on our island. Yesterday was the first day for pick-your-own strawberries at one of the island’s farms and we promptly made our way to their organic fields for our first taste of local berries this season. It was a beautiful foggy grey day and the mist rose up from the farm fields as we walked to the strawberry patch. Iley picked a few, but mostly ate a lot, and I was happily reminded of a favorite childhood read, Blueberries for Sal. But thankfully, no bears were involved in our picking adventure.
Happy summer to you all! and happy picking!
This beautiful walnut pie/cake server is by Facture Goods .
Midsummer Lemon Poppy Cake With Summer Fruits
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat four or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup fine ground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt optional
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds flaxmeal
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1/2 of lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla beans or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup organic confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a large liquid measuring cup whisk together milk and flaxmeal until frothy and let sit while you prep other ingredients.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir gently until evenly incorporated, do not over stir, some lumps are ok.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake on center rack for 40-45 minutes. Cake should be golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of cake should come out clean.
- Transfer cake to cooling rack and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife along the inside edge of pan to loosen cake from sides if necessary.
Prepare Lemon Glaze:
- Whisk sugar and lemon juice together until smooth.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake and let it drip down the sides.
- Decorate cake with fresh seasonal summer fruits like farm strawberries and cherries. Dust with confectioners sugar and add edible flowers and leaves to garnish.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes and spoon over slices of cake. Also delicious with a dollop of whipped coconut cream. Enjoy!