Thank you Rio Luna Organic Peppers for sponsoring this post. Rio Luna Organic Peppers are certified organic, non-GMO, fat free, cholesterol free, low calorie and Kosher. For flavorful and spicy recipe ideas follow Rio Luna on Facebook and Instagram.
Full disclosure: I’m a bad New Englander and had no idea the Pats were in the playoffs (I know), and just heard they are headed to the championship. Yay. But I do love me some vegan comfort food and am all for the tailgating dishes and game day apps. I’ll come for the food but please don’t make we watch the game. Just being honest. Also being honest: this layered taco cake would be an amazing addition for your game day snack fest. This recipe is vegan but you could easily swap vegan cheese for real cheese if you rather. NBD.
This taco cake features the spicy bold flavors of Rio Luna Organic Peppers. Their Diced Green Chiles give this simple taco filling a delicious depth of flavor with a kick. The base of the filling is an earthy tofu-shiitake mushroom mince to which beans, corn, tomatoes and Mexican spices are added. The spicy vegan taco filling is then layered between dry toasted flour tortillas and loaded with cheese and Rio Luna Nacho Sliced Jalapeños for extra heat to create a festive taco cake that is sure to please all the fans at your Game Day viewing party. I like to serve it with healthy dollops of fresh made guacamole and salsa, but sour cream or thick coconut yogurt are also v. good additions.
Rio Luna works with organic farmers who practice sustainable growing methods like drip irrigation, recycling initiatives and crop rotation to cultivate their certified organic and non-GMO peppers, which also happen to be fat-free, cholesterol free, low calorie and Kosher. Visit Rio Luna for coupons to purchase their organic peppers at Kroger or Whole Foods so you can add a kick of heat to your meals and take flavors to new heights!
I hope your team wins, but even if they don’t you’ll still have had a winning game day feast with this savory, spicy taco cake!
scroll for recipe…
- 16 oz. extra-firm tofu pressed and crumbled
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced,
- 5 shiitake mushrooms minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon annatto powder optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups cooked kidney or black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 4 oz. can of Rio Luna Diced Green Chiles
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 10- inch flour tortillas
- 8 oz. package of vegan cheese shreds
- Rio Luna Nacho Sliced Jalapeños to taste
- Serve with:fresh salsa guacamole, cilantro and lime
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Press a piece of parchment paper into the bottom of a 10.5" springform pan.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high. Add olive oil to hot pan and sauté the diced onion and pepper, minced mushrooms and garlic, and crumbled tofu over medium heat until they start to brown, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add dried herbs and spices and continue to stir and sauté the tofu and veggies until they are browned, about another 3 minutes.
- Add tamari, vinegar, salt, beans, corn, tomatoes and Rio Luna diced green chiles and cook for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Taste for seasoning and add more salt to taste if needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro leaves
- Toast tortillas on a hot dry griddle or cast iron skillet for 30 seconds on each side to crisp them up a bit.
- Place one tortilla into the springform pan and top with 1/4 of the filling and 1/4 of the shredded cheese. Repeat for the remaining tortillas and fillings until you have 4 layers. Add a few Rio Luna sliced jalapeños to each layer for added flavor and heat to your taste.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 425˚F in top third of oven. Then turn on broiler to melt and brown the top layer of cheese, about 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from oven and serve hot in wedges with fresh salsa, guacamole, lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers to keep for up to 1 week. Reheat to serve.
Read more about my sponsored and affiliate policy here.