Thank you Rio Luna Organic Peppers for sponsoring this post. Rio Luna Organic Peppers are certified organic, non-GMO, fat free, cholesterol free, low calorie and Kosher. For flavorful and spicy recipe ideas follow Rio Luna on Facebook and Instagram.
Cinco de Mayo celebrations are days away and if you partake in celebrating Mexican culture and history on this day I’ve got the perfect festive cocktail for you. These spicy Green Chile Pineapple Margaritas will turn up the heat of your Cinco de Mayo festivities. Cinco de Mayo is a celebration commemorating Mexico’s historical victory over France at the Battle of Puebla and here in the U.S. the 5th of May has evolved into a day to celebrate and appreciate Mexico’s rich history and culture. I love Mexican food and a food tour of Mexico has been on my bucket list for years now. Someday! For those of us celebrating Cinco de Mayo, let's remember to honor and embrace Mexican culture mindfully and respectfully.
A Little Spice Is Nice
When my friends at Rio Luna Organic Peppers invited me to create a special spicy-sweet cocktail for Cinco de Mayo I looked at the very ripe pineapple sitting in our fruit bowl and knew exactly what I would do with it. Fresh pineapple juice adds a sweet fruity touch to these margaritas and balances out the tart lime juice and Rio Luna Organic Diced Green Chiles flavors. The green chiles are mild but if you like a spicier pepper, try using Rio Luna’s Organic Nacho Sliced Jalapeños instead.
This margarita recipe could not be more simple. Simply infuse your preferred tequila with a 4 oz. can of Rio Luna Organic Diced Green Chiles for at least and hour or overnight to prep ahead. Making the pineapple and lime juices from scratch is a little more time consuming but you can always use bottled juices if you’re short on time. One you have all the components assembled simply stir everything together and pour the Green Chile Pineapple Margarita mix over crushed ice in your favorite glasses.
Make It A Mocktail
These Green Chile Pineapple Margaritas have no added sugar, aside form a little bit in the salt for rimming the glasses, but you can easily omit it altogether. To make a mocktail version, simply replace the tequila with flavored settler water such as pineapple or lime, infuse the green chiles in the lime juice instead, and replace the orange liqueur with fresh orange juice.
Passion for Peppers
I love that the makers of Rio Luna Organic Peppers work closely with growers practicing sustainable pepper production methods and that their flavorful peppers are always certified-organic and non-GMO. Follow Rio Luna on Facebook and Instagram for more flavorful and spicy recipe ideas and visit their site for coupons to purchase Rio Luna Organic Peppers at Kroger or Wholefoods.
scroll for recipe...
Green Chile Pineapple Margaritas
- Rio Luna Diced Green Chiles 4 oz. can
- 8 fl. oz. / 1 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 8 fl. oz. / 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 8 fl. oz. / 1 cup tequila
- 4 fl. oz / ½ cup orange liqueur
- crushed ice
- 1 tablespoon flaky sea salt
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Rio Luna Jalapeño Slices
- lime wedges
- fresh pineapple chunks
- Pour tequila into a pint-sized jar or glass and add the Rio Luna Diced Green Chiles. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight to infuse the flavor of the green chiles into the tequila.
- Strain the tequila into a pitcher and add the pineapple and lime juices and orange liqueur. Stir everything together.
- Combine the margarita salt ingredients together in a small bowl and spread onto a small plate.
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of each margarita glass then dip each glass into the prepared margarita salt to coat the rims.
- Fill each glass with crushed ice and fill with the finished maragrita mix.
- Garnish with Rio Luna Jalapeño Slices, tiny lime wedges and pineapple chunks on cocktail picks.
- Serve and enjoy right away.
Read more about my sponsored post and affiliate policy here.