If you’ve been following my Instagram stories you know I’ve been having a moment (or many many moments) with semolina flour pancakes. Semolina make them so tender and fluffy. So naturally thought semolina would be amazing in a cake topped with fruits of some kind… cue late summer plums because they are in season and oh so delicious right now.
I’m keeping this intro short because we’re heading off for a beach day while we still can. September is after all called the “local’s summer”. This semolina plum cake would be the perfect beach picnic fare too, hmmm, wish we still had some left to bring! Without further ado, I give you a delicious semolina plum cake for all your September picnicking adventures, wherever they take you. Don’t have plums? No worries, you can use any fruits in place of plums!
recipe after the jump…
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder non-aluminum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- 1/3 cup oil such as canola or olive
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 plums
- powdered sugar for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 1/4 sheet pan (9"x13"). Cut parchment paper to fit into sheet pan with some overhang and press into the greased pan then flip it so both sides of parchment get oiled.
- Cut and slice plums into about 35 thin slices.
- Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Whisk together oil, milk, maple syrup, vinegar and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
- Add wet mixture to dry and gently stir to combine, about 1 minute. Don't overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread into a even layer.
- Arrange plum slices on top of batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until cake is golden brown and an inserted toothpick some out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Then carefully lift with help of parchment and transfer cake to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Before serving, dust cake with powdered sugar. This will give a sheen to the plums, which may look dry after baking.
- Cut and serve. Cover leftovers and store at room temp for up to several days.