How’s everyone doing this week? 4 days til Santa comes down the chimney! Not that anyone’s counting or anything. If you’re still revving up those ovens this weekend I have one more cookie recipe for you. Santa will definitely love these babies too. Because chocolate. And coffee. And hazelnuts. See where I’m heading with this?
Jam thumbprints are cute and all, but given the choice I’ll go for mocha any day of the week. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, these hazelnut coated chocolate cookies get a swirl of mocha coconut cream ganache. So basically a truffle inside of a damn good cookie to begin with.
I was inspired by this recipe I came across on pinterest from Sarah of Gold Lining Girl. I adapted the cookie to be vegan and used my go to ganache recipe made with coconut cream and this time flavored with coffee for the filling. These are not overly sweet and are definitely for the dark chocolate lovers out there. They would be amazing with an after dinner espresso or cappuccino. And of course perfect to gift in a holiday cookie plate. I think I’m going to make another batch of these over the weekend just for us.
Before I send you down to the recipe I just want to say a big Thank You to all of you who’ve come to the blog, read and tried the recipes. To all of you who’ve like and commented here or on my social media accounts, those of you who’ve sent me messages, to all of you who’ve subscribed to the blog, supported my shop and especially to our private chef clients this year, I, we, appreciate your encouragement, support and kindness so very much. From our family to yours, a very Merry Christmas and Happy 2018 everybody!!!
recipe after the jump…
Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies with Mocha Ganache
Yield 24 cookies
These rich decadent chocolate cookies rolled in toasted hazelnuts and filled with mocha ganache!
for Cookie Batter
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skins removed and finely chopped
for Mocha Ganache
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped or chips
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with a handheld beater or in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and coconut milk and cream together to incorporate.
- Add flour, cacao, and salt and combine until a stiff dough forms.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Meanwhile prep hazelnuts and prepare ganache.
- Toast hazelnuts at 350˚F for 5 minutes and rub skins off in a towel.
- Finely chop hazelnuts in a food processor or with a kitchen knife.
- Melt dark chocolate pieces with coconut milk, instant coffee and vanilla in a bowl set over over simmering water. Whisk together to combine.
- Transfer ganache to a pastry bag and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop cookie dough into rounded tablespoons and form into spheres.
- Roll spheres into chopped hazelnuts, pressing the nuts into the dough so that they adhere to it.
- Make an indentation in the center of each cookie using your thumb or the handle end of a wooden spoon.
- Bake cookies at 350˚F for 15 minutes on center rack.
- Cool cookies to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- Snip the end of the pastry bag to about 1/2" diameter and pipe ganache into the center of each cookie.
- Top with flaky salt. Enjoy!
- Cookies will keep sealed at room temperature for several days.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @fareisle on Instagram and hashtag it #fareisle.