I’ve always been a fan of good carrot cake. Sweet, spicy and filled with orange flecks of carrot. This recipe is not as oily as some carrot cakes tend to be. It might be leaning towards being a muffin but anything with a maple orange glaze is dessert in my book. The glaze is amazing and I’ve caught myself pouring massive amounts of it over these cupcakes and everything else for that matter.
- Cupcake batter
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt optional
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1 cup grade B maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 medium-sized carrots shredded
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Zest and juice of 1 medium-sized orange
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- Vanilla bean pod that you scraped seeds out of or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Fold in the wet mixture to dry mixture using a rubber spatula. If batter seems to dry add a Tbs of milk at a time until it loosens. Fold in walnuts.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop fill cupcake liners with batter about 3/4 way full.
- Bake until golden brown and a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Carefully remove cupcakes from the pan and continue to let them cool.
- Dip cupcakes into the glaze and let it set, then dip again if you like.
This post contains affiliate links to ingredients and products relevant to this recipe. If you choose to purchase linked products I would earn a modest commission, which helps offset the costs of keeping Fare Isle going. Learn more about my affiliate policy here. Thank you for your continued support!