Using yogurt instead of milk adds extra creaminess and a flavorful tang to this macaroni and cheese with roasted cauliflower recipe.
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Mac and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425˚F/220˚C. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Coat cauliflower in oil and seasonings then spread the pieces into one layer on the sheet pan.
- Roast cauliflower for 30 minutes turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil before salting it with a few tablespoons of kosher salt.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- Grate 20 oz. of the cheese and cut the remaining 4 oz. into small cubes.
- Heat an enameled dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot on medium then add the butter and olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted add the flour and stir constantly for about 5 minutes to cook the flour and make a roux.
- Then stir in the yogurt followed by the seasonings. Continue stirring until the sauce just starts to bubble. Be careful not to let the sauce boil or it could split.
- Stir in the grated cheese, reserving about 1 cup to use alter. Keep stirring until the sauce is smooth and creamy and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked pasta and cauliflower.
- Add half of the mac and cheese to a baking dish then dot the top with the cubed cheese. Cover with the rest of the mac and cheese and top with the reserved grated cheese.
- Broil the mac and cheese for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese and form a nice golden brown crust.
- Serve hot and enjoy. Leftover mac and cheese with keep covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat to serv
- Use any combination of cheeses that melt creamy such as cheddar, Monterrey jack, pepper jack, fontina, gruyere, gouda, raclette, taleggio, etc. I used 16 oz. of sharp orange cheddar and 8 oz. of pepper jack this time.
- Feel free to leave out the roasted cauliflower. The basic mac and cheese recipe is amazing on its own as well!
- Add a pinch of cayenne or a few dashes of hot sauce to the cheese sauce to give it a little heat if you wish.
- I used whole milk plain yogurt because it is more flavorful but you can use low-fat or non-fat yogurt in this recipe.
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: macaroni and cheese, yogurt mac and cheese, cauliflower mac and cheese, mac and cheese, baked mac and cheese, creamy mac and cheese