Easy Vegan Biscuits Recipe
These rich buttery flaky vegan biscuits are unbelievably just as good as conventional homemade biscuits. The secret is using rich and creamy coconut cream. Use this recipe as a base vegan biscuit recipe to which to add savory mix-ins like herbs or vegan cheeses, or add sweetener to make make delicious vegan shortcakes.
Servings: 9 servings
- 160 g coconut cream ⅔ cup, canned or homemade
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 280 g unbleached all-purpose flour 2 cups, or a 1:1 mix of whole wheat pastry and ap flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder non-aluminum
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt if using salted vegan butter than you can omit or reduce the amount of salt
- 113 g vegan butter ½ cup, 1 stick, or vegan shortening
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk or coconut cream, for brushing biscuits
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Stir apple cider vinegar into coconut cream and let sit to thicken.
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together then cut the shortening or vegan butter into the mixture using your fingers, pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs with some larger pea-sized chunks.
Add coconut cream mixture all at once and stir with a fork until the dough comes together in to a shaggy dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and knead it 14 times (no more no less!). Pat out the dough with your fingers to a ¾" thick round or rectangle.
Use a 2" round cutter to cut out round biscuits. Push the cutter straight down into the dough, without twisting it. This will help to get flaky layers int he biscuits. Gently rework scraps and re-cut. You can also pat dough out into a rectangle and then cut into into squares with a shape knife. If you do this make sure to cut the outer edges for flakier layers.
Transfer rounds to an ungreased baking sheet just touching each other. Brush biscuits with non-dairy milk or more coconut cream.
Bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes until they puff up and are golden brown with a crusty top.
- Biscuits are best eaten hot from the oven or the same day they are made. Store biscuits in a sealed bag or container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Warm them up in the oven, toaster oven or microwave before serving.
- To make sweet biscuits or shortcakes add 2 tablespoons of sugar or a sweetener of your choice to the dough and sprinkle the tops with more sugar before baking them.
- Add savory mix-ins such as vegan cheese, herbs, nuts or sweet mix-ins like fruit jam, fresh or frozen berries, apples, etc. to make vegan scones with this dough.
Serving: 1biscuit | Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 225mg | Potassium: 100mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.1g | Vitamin A: 487IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2mg