Wild Violet Sugar
Violet season is so fleeting. Preserve these cheerful blooms year round by making violet sugar! Package it in pretty jars to make a beautiful unique homemade gift.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup picked fresh violet petals
- Pick violet petals off of fresh picked violets, discarding the stem and sepal (green bits). You’ll need about 1 cup of loosely packed petals.
- Pulse sugar and petals together in a food processor until the petals are broken down evenly into the sugar, about 10 seconds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread violet sugar every over parchment. Cover the pan with cheesecloth and leave at room temperature in a dry spot for 1-2 days. The higher the humidity the longer it will take to dry. Stir sugar around occasionally to encourage even drying.
- Once sugar is dry, transfer it to an airtight container to store at room temperature. If sugar has large clumps, pass it through a sieve.
- Package sugar in pretty glass jars to give as homemade gifts.
If properly dried, sugar should keep for a long time, a year or even longer.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/wild-violet-sugar/