- 4 cups organic white sugar
- 4 cups well or spring water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chamomile blossoms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried nettle
- 1/2 teaspoon dried peppermint
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lemon balm
- pinch of good quality high mineral salt such as Himalayan pink salt
- Prepare an infusion of the dried herbs in 2 cups of boiling water. Let herbs steep in water in a covered vessel for 10 minutes.
- In a 1/2 gallon mason jar, dissolve sugar and salt in 2 cups of warm water - not boiling.
- Strain herbal tea through a strainer or cloth and add tea to the sugar water.
- Stir everything together and let cool to room temp before feeding to bees.
Other herbs to add: yarrow, hyssop, fresh dandelion flowers, echinacea, rue, lemongrass, spearmint
Organic white sugar is suggested as succanat or rapadura contain too many organic compounds for the bees to digest easily.
A pinch of salt is added to aid in the digestion of the sugar
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10