Vegan Semolina Plum Cake
Yield 8 servings
Sweet late summer plums nestled into the top of a tender golden semolina cake make for one delicious elegant dessert!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder (non-aluminum)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 1/3 cup oil such as canola or olive
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 plums
- powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 1/4 sheet pan (9"x13"). Cut parchment paper to fit into sheet pan with some overhang and press into the greased pan then flip it so both sides of parchment get oiled.
- Cut and slice plums into about 35 thin slices.
- Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Whisk together oil, milk, maple syrup, vinegar and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
- Add wet mixture to dry and gently stir to combine, about 1 minute. Don't overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread into a even layer.
- Arrange plum slices on top of batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until cake is golden brown and an inserted toothpick some out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Then carefully lift with help of parchment and transfer cake to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Before serving, dust cake with powdered sugar. This will give a sheen to the plums, which may look dry after baking.
- Cut and serve. Cover leftovers and store at room temp for up to several days.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/vegan-semolina-plum-cake/