Creamy Mushroom Apple Sage Sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 large cremini, shiitake or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sage leaves, chiffonaded
- 1/2 cup hard apple cider
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- reserved pasta cooking water to loosen sauce
- Heat a sauté pan on medium high heat. Add oil, onion, mushrooms, apple and sage. Sauté until softened and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with hard cider. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Lower to a simmer and add the cooked pasta, coconut milk, and some of the pasta cooking water to loosen the sauce.
- Simmer for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, tossing pasta in the sauce and allowing the sauce to come together. Add more pasta water as needed. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately and garnish with baby sage leaves. Enjoy!
Best eaten right away. Leftover cooked pasta can be kept in the refrigerator and reheated the next day. You may have to water or more coconut milk to loosen the sauce as it reheats.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/vegan-pumpkin-sage-agnolotti/