Vegan Pumpkin Sage Agnolotti
Yield ~80 Agnolotti
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon torn sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon torn rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin or winter squash
- 1 cup pressed extra firm tofu
- 1/2 bulb of roasted garlic (roast with pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Dump flour onto a clean surface and make a mound with a well in the center. Add salt, oil, herbs and turmeric into the well. Slowly pour water into the well, making sure it doesn't overflow the flour sides. Using a fork, gently whisk the ingredients in the well and slowly incorporate the flour from the sides until a rough dough forms. You may have some extra flour left.
- Gather dough together with your hands and knead until smooth, about 5-10 minutes. Form into a ball and cover with wrap and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. Dough can be refrigerated at this time for later use.
- Make filling while dough rests. Add all of the filling ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth. Add filling to a pastry bag or plastic storage bag using a rubber spatula. Push filling down to the tip or corner and twist the top. Snip the tip or corner of bag to create a 1/2" opening.
- After dough has rested, divide it into quarters. Roll out 1 quarter of dough at a time, keeping the rest covered in wrap. Roll dough into a large rectangle about 1/8" thick. Too thin and it will tear.
- Pipe filling onto dough starting about 1" up from the long edge. Fold edge of dough up and over the filling and press to seal. Wet the dough first with water (using fingertips or pastry brush) if it does not seal on its own.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut the filled tube, if you will, off of the remaining dough. Pinch dough with your fingers to create about 1-1/2" segments into the tube of filled dough. Use a pastry cutter to cut and separate the segments into agnolotti. As you cut them, gently push the agnolotti with your other hand, toward the cut long edge to form the folded pockets.
- Repeat piping the filling and forming the agnolotti with the remaining rolled out dough. Then roll out the rest of the dough and continue the process until all of filling and dough are used up.
- Cook agnolotti in batches in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes per batch. Save some of the cooking water for the sauce. Enjoy!
Uncooked angolotti can be stored in a sealed container or bag in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 6 months.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/vegan-pumpkin-sage-agnolotti/