This rustic vegan garlic bread is over-the-top delicious and made with roasted garlic, herbs and spices and a homemade hemp seed “parmesan” to top it all off. It’s the perfect fall/winter pairing for hearty soups and stews.
- 1/2 of baguette
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Layer two sheets of tin-foil.
- Cut garlic bulb in half crosswise. Place each half cut side up on tin-foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Wrap tin-foil tightly around garlic and roast in oven for about 20 minutes until garlic is soft. Remove garlic from oven, unwrap tin foil and let it cool slightly before squeezing roasted garlic from cloves into a small bowl.
- Add softened vegan butter, remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, parsley, and red pepper flakes to roasted garlic and stir until combined, mashing garlic out with the back of the spoon as you stir.
- Add hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, lemon zest and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt to a mortar and pestle and crush everything together to create a vegan “parmesan”.
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise and generously spread each cut side with the garlic butter mixture. Sprinkle the hemp seed “parmesan” liberally over each piece of baguette.
- Set oven to broil and place rack at top 1/3 of oven. Place baguette pieces on a baking sheet and broil until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Keep an eye on it while it’s broiling to make sure it doesn’t burn. When the garlic bread is done, remove from oven and cut into smaller slices.
- Serve hot with Amy’s Soups for a delicious rustic fall meal. Best eaten hot from oven. Garlic butter and hemp seed “parmesan” can be made ahead of time and stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week before use.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes