Orange Bourbon Chai Spice Poached Pears
- 3 bosc pears, peeled, stem on
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 split vanilla bean
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked open
- 2 star anise pods
- 1/2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 nub of ginger, smashed
- 1 orange or mandarin, juice and rind
- Add everything to a saucepan. Bring everything to a boil. Reduce to a low boil and cover. Cook until pears are fork tender, which will depend on how ripe they are to begin with. Anywhere from about 15-35 minutes.
- Remove pears from poaching liquid with a slotted spoon and allow to slightly cool on a plate before using them in the cake recipe.
These pears are also excellent on their own. You can poach more than 3 in this amount of liquid too.
You can swap the whole spices in the poaching liquid for 2 tablespoons of the chai spice blend above if you want.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/vegan-chai-spice-poached-pear-cake/