Vegan Carrot Cake with Lemon Buttercream and Fresh Figs
Yield 1 two-layer 6" cake
This carrot cake is super moist and rich thanks to coconut milk. Coconut milk is a dream for vegan baking. So creamy and rich and it really make a difference in taste and texture compared to other plant-based milks. I used maple sugar in this recipe because I just love the flavor of maple especially in fall season recipes. It is a bit pricey but you can sub it for whole cane sugar (rapadura/panela) or coconut palm sugar.
- 1-1/2 cup all purpose flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3/4 cups maple sugar or whole cane sugar/coconut palm sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease two 6" cake tins with vegan shortening or oil and line the bottoms with cut-out parchment paper rounds.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together milk, oil, maple syrup, vinegar, vanilla, and orange zest in a large measuring cup or another mixing bowl. Stir shredded carrots into wet mixture.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Spread batter evenly into the cake pans and bake at 350˚F for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of cakes come out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife along edge of cake to loosen sides if needed. Invert pans onto a cooling rack. Cakes should come right out. Peel away the parchment and allow cakes to cool to room temperature before frosting.
- Frost cakes with lemon buttercream, (recipe below) and top with fresh figs and flowers.
- Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
Keep leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/vegan-carrot-cake-with-lemon-buttercream-and-fresh-figs/