- 3 lbs tart apples (about 8)
- 2/3 cup organic sugar or unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Line a sheet pan with tin foil to catch drippings just in case the crumble filling bubbles over the sides while baking.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples and toss in lemon juice in a mixing bowl to keep them from browning. Coat apple slices in sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Add sliced apples to baking dish or pie plate.
- In a separate bowl stir flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon together with a fork. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs with some pea sized bits. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time and stir with a fork until topping comes together into shaggy/lumpy crumbles.
- Cover apples with crumble topping and bake at 400˚F for 40 minutes until juices are bubbling and apples are soft.
- Serve hot or warm with a scoop of vanilla bean coconut ice cream. Enjoy!
Leftover crumble will keep covered at room temperature overnight or for several days refrigerated.