Mushroom cookies made from vanilla sugar cookie dough and dark chocolate look like they are were picked from the forest. They are perfect Yule log cake decorations!
- 180 g (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 90 g (3/4 cup) powdered sugar, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 70 g (5 tablespoons) softened butter or plant butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 60 g (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cocoa powder for dusting
140 g (5 oz.) dark chocolate, melted
- Sift flour, powdered sugar, and baking powder together set aside.
- Cream together butter, vanilla, and salt in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and beat to combine for about 1 minute.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix on low then medium speed until the dough comes together into a ball, about 2 minutes. The dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is sticky then mix in more flour by the tablespoon until the right consistency is reached.
- Form the dough into a disc and wrap it in parchment paper then refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes. At this stage, the dough can be chilled overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F/175˚C and line 1 half-sheet pan and 1 quarter sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the dough and divide it into 2 pieces, one about 2/3 of the dough and the other about 1/3.
- Working with the larger piece of dough divide it into 12-15 pieces and roll them into balls between your palms. I like to do varying sizes, some smaller and some larger so that I will have different sized mushroom caps.
- Arrange the balls of cookie dough on the half sheet pan and gently press them with your palm.
- Bake this tray at 350˚F/175˚C for about 8-10 minutes until the cookies puff up and the bottoms just start to turn golden brown.
- While the mushroom caps bake shape the stems. Hand-shape pieces of the remaining dough to make the mushroom stems. I like to make them different lengths and thicknesses. Arrange the stems on the quarter sheet pan.
- When the caps are done take them out of the oven and place the tray of stems in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes until they are puffed and the bottoms just start to turn golden brown.
- While the mushroom caps are still warm scoop out the center of their bottoms with a 1/4 teaspoon. This must be done as they come out of the oven and are still warm or they will become too firm as they cool and will crack.
- Remove the stems from the oven when they are done and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. The glaze should have a thin/runny consistency
- Dip the top of the caps into the glaze and place them on a cooling rack to let the glaze drip down the sides.
- Before the glaze has set, gently dust cocoa powder over the caps through a small sieve/strainer.
- Let the glaze set fully then dip the bottom of the caps into the melted chocolate and place them chocolate side up on the cooling rack.
- Fill the scooped out centers with more melted chocolate and stick in the stems. The stems may fall over if the chocolate is very liquid. Just set them back up and as the chocolate cools and sets the stems will stay upright.
- Once the chocolate has set the cookies are ready. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Idle Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom cookies, mushroom cookie, mushroom cookies recipe, mushroom cookies recipes, mushroom cookie recipe, mushroom shaped cookies, mushroom shaped cookies recipe, mushroom dessert, mushroom biscuits, mushroom cookies lithuania, lithuanian mushroom cookies, russian mushroom cookies, gribochky, grybai, lithuanian grybai, grybukai, grybukai (mushroom cookies), lithuanian mushroom cookies recipe, yule log mushrooms, buche de noel mushrooms, mushrooms for buche de noel, turkish mushroom cookies, mushroom dessert recipe, yule log decorations, mushroom log cake, edible yule log decorations, christmas log decorations, yule log decoration ideas, buche de noel decorations, yule log cake decorations, christmas yule log decorations, chocolate log decorations, sugar cookies, christmas cookies