3-Ingredient Vegan Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Yield ~50 gnocchi
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour or 50/50 combo
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Roast whole sweet potatoes at 425˚F on a baking sheet or tinfoil (to catch juices) until fork tender, about 20 minutes for small ones and 30-40 minutes for larger sweet potatoes.
- Remove from oven and when cool enough to touch, peel away and discard skins.
- Mash sweet potatoes with a fork in a bowl. Add flour and salt and stir with a fork until a dough starts to hold together. Knead dough together using clean hands just until it comes together into a smooth soft ball. Be careful not to over work the dough. Dough should be soft and pillowy, not firm or dense.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time, while covering the remaining dough, roll it out with your hands into a long log about 1/2" in diameter. Cut log into 1-1/2" long pieces. Lightly press each piece into the back of a fork or gnocchi board and roll it down the tines to make indentations on one side and a slight concave dip on the other side. Repeat with remaining portions of dough.
- At this point gnocchi can be cooked right away or refrigerated for up to 2 days before use or frozen in a single layer on a baking sheet and then transferred to a freezer safe container and stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. To cook frozen gnocchi add them directly to the boiling water, do not thaw them first.
- To cook gnocchi, bring a large pot of water (at least 4 quarts) to a boil and add a handful of sea salt to the water.
- Add fresh gnocchi to the boiling water, and cook at a rapid boil, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Test one to make sure they are cooked through, with no raw flour taste, and are soft with a slight chew, not mushy. If they are not done, cook for a couple more minutes and test again. If cooking frozen gnocchi you may need a few more minutes to cook them.
- When gnocchi are done, drain them from the cooking water and coat or toss them in whatever sauce or sauté as you wish. Enjoy!
- Gnocchi can be cooked right away or refrigerated for up to 2 days before use or frozen in a single layer on a baking sheet and then transferred to a freezer safe container and stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. To cook frozen gnocchi add them directly to the boiling water, do not thaw them first.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/sweet-potato-gnocchi-vegan/