Summer Tomato, Corn and Peach Salad
Yield 4-6 servings
This salad is an ode to fresh flavorful summer produce: juicy heirloom tomatoes, ripe peaches and sweet summer corn. Make it for lunch or your next summer gathering!
- 1 ear of sweet corn
- 2lbs of mixed heirloom tomatoes
- 2-3 ripe peaches
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons high quality aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- fennel fronds for garnish
- Bring about 3-4" of water to boil in a 3-qt. sauce pan. Shuck corn and add it to the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook corn for 5 minutes with the cover on.
- Remove corn from the water and allow it to cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/3-1/2" thick slices and arrange on a platter or large plate.
- Cut each peach into 8 wedges and arrange them over tomatoes, tucking some under so tomatoes still show through.
- Thinly slice fennel and red onion and arrange them randomly between tomatoes and peaches.
- Lay corn flat on a cutting board, and using a chef's knife, cut the kernels off the cob on one side. Then rotate corn and cut again, continuing all the way around the cob.
- Tuck the segments of corn kernels into the salad.
- Add fresh basil leaves and fennel fronds to the salad.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar all over the salad.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
- This salad is best eaten right away and will not keep well as leftovers.
- Ingredient measurements here are arbitrary. Add more or less of anything to your preferences. Double, triple, etc. the recipe for a larger crowd.
- Try roasting or grilling the corn for another layer of flavor.
- Add burrata, fresh mozzarella or my vegan almond ricotta.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/summer-tomato-corn-and-peach-salad/