I love this no-bake filling because you taste the freshness of the just picked berries. It’s heavenly with coconut ice cream, which I made, but was not ready at camera time.
Whole Wheat Pastry Crust
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 5 tablespoons vegan shortening (I used nutiva brand)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ice water
- pinch of salt (optional)
Prepare the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening and olive oil until mixture is in pea-sized crumbles. Add ice water a tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork, until dough comes together into a ball. (The amount of water needed is always changing, as it is dependent on the humidity and temperature at the time).
- Roll out dough to 1/4″ thick on a well floured surface. Use rolling pin to roll up crust and transfer it to a pie plate. Trim overhanging dough to 1″. Tuck the outer edge under and crimp crust all the way around.
- Prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork. Use pie weights or dried beans in parchment or foil to hold crust in place and to keep it from puffing.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked completely through. Cool to room temp before filling.
Prepare Strawberry Filling:
- Clean and hull berries. Puree 1/2 lb of berries in a blender to make 1 cup of puree. Quarter the remaining 2 lbs of berries and add them to pie shell.
- Bring strawberry puree, maple syrup, agar agar, and vanilla to a boil in a saucepan, and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk mixture to ensure it is smooth.
- Remove strawberry puree from heat and pour over berries in the pie shell. Refrigerate pie until filling is set and gelled, about 2 hours.
- Slice and serve with whipped coconut cream or ice cream. Now taste pure summer!
Keep pie refrigerated. This pie will last up to a week refrigerated.