Vegan Rustic Raspberry Tart
I have mixed feelings about Valentine's Day. On one hand, I think it's frivolous to say this one day is for showing love to another person (shouldn't we do that every day?), and I despise how commercial it is. But, on the other hand, I think it is good to take time to pause and reflect on our relationships and maybe having a holiday to do so is a necessary reminder for some of us. And I can't deny that I will always welcome an excuse to bake a special treat. So, in honor of love, I give you this rustic raspberry-love tart.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 6 Tablespoons raw coconut oil or palm oil
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon rapadura (whole cane sugar)
- ice water
- 3 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup rapadura
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon soy milk, rice milk or nut milk for brushing crust
- 2 Tablespoons of rapadura for sprinkling on top.
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Whisk flours and rapadura together. Cut oils into the flour mixture using your fingertips until it forms pea-sized crumbles. Add ice water 1 Tablespoon at a time stirring with a fork until it starts to come together into a ball. The total amount of water added varies every time depending on the humidity in the air-it may be 4 Tablespoons or it may be 8 Tablespoons. Just be sure to add it 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Form dough into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. There's no need to refrigerate this dough. Roll it out on a well-floured work surface into a roughly-shaped circle about 1/4" thick.
- Roll your dough up onto the rolling pin and then unroll it into your baking dish. I used a 9" round dish. A pie plate would work fine.
- Mix frozen berries, maple syrup, rapadura, lemon juice, arrowroot, and vanilla together with a large spoon. Reserve the fresh berries for now.
- Pour filling into the prepared dough and fold the overhanging edges of the dough in towards the center. Rustic edges are a good thing. Add the fresh berries to the center of the tart.
- Brush the crust with soy milk and sprinkle the rapadura over the crust and fresh berries.
- Place the tart on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any juice that bubbles over. Bake at 425ºF for 35-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbling.
- When done remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Cut and serve warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!!!
I'd love to see pictures of any of my recipes you try. Tag them with #fareisle and tag me @fareisle and I'll repost on my Instagram feed!
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/recipe-vegan-rustic-raspberry-tart/