Steamed Artichokes with Lemon + Olive Oil
- 2 large globe artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil pinch of sea salt
- Fill a medium bowl with cold water and the juice and rind from 1/2 of the lemon.
- Trim outer layer of leaves from artichokes. Trim and peel stems. Working with one artichoke at a time, cut them into quarters, place quarters into the lemon water right away to keep them from browning. Use a small sharp knife to cut out the inedible furry and spiky bits from the center of the artichoke quarters being careful not to cut out the heart of the artichoke, then place them back into the lemon water.
- Fill a sauce pan with 1/2" of water, cut and squeeze the other half of lemon into the pan. Throw the lemon rind in the pan too. Add artichokes, oil and salt to the pan. Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer artichokes for 30 minutes until tender. (You can use a steamer basket if you have one too, so the artichokes don't touch the water).
- Serve hot and be sure to get the most out of your artichokes by eating the leaves with your hands, sucking the tender bits from the bottom of each leaf.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/our-vegan-easter-feast-with-recipes/