Savory Thyme Pastry Crust
- 2 cups all purpose einkorn flour
- 1/2 cup vegan shortening/butter
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ice water
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Whisk salt and thyme into flour in a mixing bowl. Cut shortening and oil into flour using your hands until you get a coarse crumbly mixture. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork after each addition, until dough holds together when pressed in your palm.
- Form dough into a disc. Roll out dough on a heavily floured surface to a 1/4" thick round. Roll up dough onto your rolling pin and transfer to a large tart/quiche baking dish. Do NOT trim excess dough hanging over the sides. This will be folded up over the filling, like a galette or crostata.
- Once crust is folded over filling brush top of pastry with the milk and turmeric mixture to create a golden yellow crust when baked.
- If not using dough right away. Wrap disc of dough up and refrigerate until ready to roll out.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/our-vegan-easter-feast-with-recipes/