This olive oil cake is simple yet elegant with a moist tender crumb and delicate flavor of the fruity balanced olive oil and sweet floral honey. It can easily be made vegan by swapping the honey for maple syrup.
- 1–1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup Carapelli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as soy or almond milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1–1/2 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Fresh figs and raspberries to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a standard loaf pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom and long sides of pan with a little overhang.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a medium size bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together olive oil, milk, honey, vinegar and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to dry and stir with a spatula until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Spread cake batter into prepared pan and bake on center rack for about 45 minutes or until it is dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make Honey-Lemon Syrup simply whisk together the lemon juice and honey until dissolved.
- When cake is done remove from oven cool cake in pan on cool rack for 10 minutes. Brush top of cake with honey-lemon syrup while it is still warm. Lift cake out of pan using the parchment paper overhang and cool to room temperature.
- To make lemon glaze, whisk lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Start with 1-1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice and add more if glaze seems too thick. Pour glaze over cooled cake.
- Optionally decorate top of cake with fresh figs, raspberries and edible flowers.
- Cut and serve. Store cake covered at room temperature without fresh fruit for up to 1 week.