Mother's Day Carrot Cake
Yield 1 8" two-layer cake
Well, I had high hopes of posting this recipe before Mother's day, but alas, mama life kept me from doing so. I think the wait will be well worth it though. This moist spiced carrot cake is good any day anytime, like for dinner, as we ate it. Don't judge.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- scant 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons flax meal
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 6 medium-sized carrots shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 cup chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans
Soy Labneh-Coconut Lemon Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups prepared homemade soy labneh or strained store-bought non-dairy yogurt
- 1/2 cups coconut cream**
- 1 cup powdered rapadura***
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla extract
Prepare Carrot Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease two 8" round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Whisk flax meal and milk together in a separate bowl until frothy. Add maple syrup, oil and vanilla to milk mixture and whisk until incorporated. Stir in shredded carrot. Fold wet mixture into dry mixture using a rubber spatula. Fold in nuts if you are adding them.
- Pour batter evenly between the two pans. Bake on the center rack until golden brown and tester comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove pans from oven and allow to cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Invert pans onto another cooling rack and lift pans from cakes. Peel away the parchment paper. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.
Prepare the Frosting:
*You will achieve best results by straining your yogurt overnight for 12 hours so it becomes very thick like cream cheese. I kinda of rushed this one and the frosting was on the runny side as you can see in the photos.
**To make homemade coconut cream follow the recipe link above or you can use canned coconut milk and refrigerate overnight in the can to allow the cream to separate from the water. Then scoop out cream from can.
***To make powered rapadura, pulverize it in the blender on high until powdered
- Whisk all ingredients together until evenly incorporated and smooth.
- Frosting should be creamy and spreadable if ingredients are prepped correctly. Or it will be loose and slightly runny if you rush things along like I did, as you can see in the photos.
- Spread about 1/2-3/4 cup of frosting on the top of first cake layer. Place second cake layer on top of first layer. Spread about 1/2-3/4 frosting on the top of second layer.
- Spread remaining frosting on the sides. Gently scrape away excess frosting from the sides for a naked cake look.
- Decorate top of cake with edible flowers and mint leaves or whatever you fancy. Enjoy!
Cake may be baked the day before assembly (it actually tastes better the next day). Once frosted store cake in the refrigerator. Prep frosting ingredients the day before for best results and easy assembly.
Don't forget to tag your photos of the recipes with #fareislerecipe on Instagram so we can see them and repost!
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/mothers-day-carrot-cake-vegan/