Turn fragrant lilacs into a simple and delicious lilac syrup (lilac cordial) to sweeten summer drinks and cocktails!
- 30g (about 1 cup) fresh lilac flowers, stems removed
- 235 ml (1 cup) water
- 200g (1 cup) white granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Add the lilac flowers and lemon slices to a quart-sized jar.
- Bring the water and sugar to just a boil in a small saucepan and remove from the heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the hot sugar syrup over the lilac flowers and lemon slices to cover them. Muddle the mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the jar and cool slightly then refrigerate it overnight. As the lilac syrup steeps and cools it will take a pale blush pink-colored hue.
- The following day, strain the syrup into a bottle or jar with a funnel lined with a small strainer. Press the solids with a spoon to extract as much syrup as possible. Discard the solids.
- Store the lilac syrup in the refrigerator and use it within 4 weeks.
- Always be sure to identify any edible flowers and plants correctly before ingesting them. If foraging for lilacs be mindful of where they are located if they could have been sprayed with pesticides or in the path of water runoff from roadways. Also, be mindful to not over-overharvest the plant. You are pruning the plant so only take a few stems from each plant.
- White granulated or caster sugar is best for flower syrups to retain the color of the flowers. Organic sugar or raw sugar will turn the syrup more of a brown color.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lilac recipes, lilac drink, lilac flower recipes, edible lilac recipes, lilac blossom recipes, what to do with lilac flowers, are lilac flowers edible, is lilac edible, lilac uses, are lilacs edible, can you eat lilacs, edible flowers for drinks, edible drink flowers, flower drink garnish, best edible flowers for cocktails, edible flowers for cocktail garnish, drinks with flowers, edible flower, edible flower recipes, edible purple flower, lilac aesthetic, lilac simple syrup, lilac drinks, lilac, lilac syrup, lilac syrup uses, lilac lemonade, lilac recipe, lilac simple syrup, lilac syrup recipe, lilac drink, lilac cordial, lilac cordial recipe, how to make lilac syrup, lilac syrup, edible flower syrup, lilac squash, simple syrup, spring cocktails, foraging, lilac foraging