This moist and delicious vegan lemon cake with whipped coconut cream frosting is decorated with edible lilac flowers and perfect for spring! Swap lilacs out with any other edible flowers if you can’t source them where you live.
- 140g (1 cup) flour white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 100g (1/2 cup) whole cane sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup non-dairy unsweetened yogurt
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped Coconut Cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup cold separated canned coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- optional: finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 loosely packed cups of lilac flowers removed from stems
Prepare the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/175˚C. Grease and flour 3 mini (4") spring-form cake pans or one 8-inch cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together into a bowl. Whisk wet ingredients together in a measuring cup. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until combined. Fold in a handful of fresh lilac flowers if you wish.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans. Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. If making an 8" cake bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool the cakes in their pans for 10 minutes then remove them from the pans and cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
Prepare the Frosting:
- Whip coconut cream and sugar (and lemon zest if adding) into soft peaks.
- Spread whipped coconut cream between each layer of cake and on the top, placing lilac flowers on top of the frosting between each layer.
- For a "naked" cake look spread a thin layer of the cream around the sides of the cake, creating a crumb coat.
- Arrange fresh lilac flowers on the top of the cake and around the base.
Double recipe to make a 2-layer 8" round cake.
Cake Decorating Tips: Put a dab of the frosting on the cake plate first to keep the cake in place. Put wax paper under the cake around the edges to catch dripping frosting from messing up the cake plate.
Refrigerate full fat canned coconut milk the night before and skim off the separated cream to use in the frosting.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whipped coconut cream, coconut cream frosting, frosting with coconut cream, whipped coconut cream recipe, whipped coconut cream recipes, coconut whip cream recipe, coconut cream icing, whipped coconut cream frosting, vegan cake lemon, vegan lemon cake, lemon vegan cake, lemon cake vegan, vegan lemon cakes, lemon cake vegan recipe, vegan cake recipe lemon, vegan cake recipes lemon, vegan lemon cake recipe, eggless lemon cake, lemon vegan cake recipe, vegan lemon dessert, dairy free lemon cake, vegan lemon olive oil cake, easy vegan lemon cake, vegan lemon coconut cake, , best vegan lemon cake, vegan lemon yogurt cake, non dairy lemon cake, moist vegan lemon cake, cake lilac, lemon lilac cake, lilac lemon cake, lilac cake recipe, lilac flower cake, lilac purple cake, lilac cake flowers, lilac cake decorations, lilac flower cake decorations, vegan lilac cake, lilac cake, lilac cake ideas, lilac cake design