The pea teepee in our garden is prolific these days, loaded with long green pods bursting with the sweetest peas. Each day Iley makes his way to the teepee and pops a few pea pods off, carefully opening each green purse and removing each sweet pea one by one, popping them into his mouth. Iley’s peas. Gardening with children is such a joy. Seeing and exploring the garden through their eyes, it becomes a jungle or enchanted fairy land full of nature’s gifts.
Iley helped pick the peas for this salad and when I asked him what we should make, he promptly said, “Samurai Salad!”. I really kind of love that name, so I’m going with it! Samurai must eat healthy foods, right?! Our peaches are not quite ready yet, so I used some very sweet ripe ones grown on the east coast. Use as local and fresh ingredients as you can find, as with everything really.
This season is so bountiful, I often wish we could spread it our over more of the year. Grateful for these seasonal harvests, and for being lucky enough to have a space to grow food and nourish my family from it. From our garden to yours, happy growing, harvesting and nurturing, friends!
Iley's Samurai Salad
Sweet garden peas, paired with sweet tangy peaches, and flavorful fresh garden herbs like basil, cilantro, chervil and fennel, along with fresh crisp garden butter lettuces is a delightful taste of summer. This peach-fennel vinaigrette hits all the right notes- sweet, tangy, herbilicious, etc.
- 1 peach
- 1 tablespoon dijon or whole grain mustard (I used our own-available in the shoppe)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rocket cider (available in the shoppe or use other vinegar of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon white vine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- few sprigs of fresh fennel fronds
- pinch of fleur del sel sea salt (optional)
- Butter leaf lettuce (1 large head or several small)
- 2-4 peaches (depending on size)
- 1-2 cups fresh shelled peas
- Handful of each: fresh basil leaves, chervil, cilantro, fennel fronds (or whatever you have/like)
- 2 tablespoons hulled raw sesame seeds (or hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, walnuts, etc.)
- Remove pit from peach, leave skin on.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and emulsified.
- Steam shelled peas for 3-5 minutes, use a strainer to run them under cold water to stop them from cooking longer.
- Tear lettuce and herbs by hand and arrange in a serving bowl or platter.
- Slice peaches and arrange over lettuce and herbs. Sprinkle peas over the top of salad. Sprinkle sesame seeds all over salad.
- Dress salad with vinaigrette and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @fareisle on Instagram and hashtag it #fareisle.