Wild Fermented Golden Sauerkraut
Yield ~10 cups
This sauerkraut gets its lovely golden hue from turmeric, which is highly anti-inflammatory and a powerful antioxidant. The basic ratio for sauerkraut is 5 lbs cabbage/veggies to 3 tablespoons salt. I used 4 lbs cabbage and 1 lb of mixed veggies from the garden: carrots, cucumber and daikon radish. The method is pretty simple... shred up the veggies and mix everything together, then let nature do it's work. The hard part is waiting. It takes about 4 weeks for the veggies to go through all the stages of fermentation, to develop proper flavor and acidity, and for all the sugars in the cabbage to be consumed. Like all good things, it's worth the wait.
- 4 lbs cabbage
- 1 lb mixed veggies (carrots, cucumber, radish)
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves
- nub of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- handful of flowering dill or fennel
- 2 teaspoons fresh or teaspoon dried coriander seeds
- Shred washed vegetables using a box grater or food processor with a slicer or grater blade. Add shredded veggies to a big bowl.
- Thinly slice garlic. Smash ginger with a mallet or flat edge of a kitchen knife. Add seasonings to bowl and mix everything together using spoons or clean hands.
- Pack mixture into a clean fermenting crock. Cover with tannin-rich leaves such as horseradish/cherry/grape to help retain the crispness of the veggies. Press mixture down with fermenting weights until everything is submerged in it's liquid.
- Cover crock with lid and let veggies ferment on counter-top at room temperature for 4 weeks. Check periodically to make sure veggies are submerged in liquid, and for spoilage. It should smell like sour pickles/sauerkraut, not off-putting or moldy.
- After 4 weeks of fermentation, remove and discard leaves if used. Pack sauerkraut into sterilized mason jars with lids and keep refrigerated.
If stored properly fermented sauerkraut will keep for a long time.
Recipe by Fare Isle at https://fareisle.com/golden-sauerkraut-fermentation-crock-giveaway/