A lovely fall spiced cake with just the right amount of apples.
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour (30 g) (or more all-purpose)
- 3/4 cups (150 g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) baking soda
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) clove powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) freshly grated whole nutmeg
- 2 medium baking apples
- ½ cup milk (120 ml, 125 g) (use non-dairy milk for vegan option)
- ½ cup light tasting oil (120 ml, 105 g) – canola, grape seed, extra-light olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup (60 mL, 75 g)
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/175˚C with rack in center. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line it with parchment paper then flour the sides. Tap out any excess flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all of the wet ingredients: milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and vinegar.
- Peel and core apples. Diced one apple and thinly slice the other. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the pieces and slices to keep them from turning brown. You should have roughly 1 heaping cup of diced apples or 140 g. Save the slices to top the cake.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until evenly combined about 30-60 seconds. Fold in diced apples. The batter will be on the thicker side.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth with the rubber spatula.
- Arrange the apple slices over the batter. Mix spoonful each of maple syrup and oil together and brush the tops of the apple slices with it. Then sprinkle cinnamon powder over the apple slices.
- Bake at 350˚F/175˚C on the center rack for 50 minutes or until the sides pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted into the cake’s center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Run a butter knife along the edges to make sure the cake has released from the sides of the pan. Invert the cake onto the cooling rack. Then place a serving plate over the bottom of the cake and flip the cake right side up by gripping the cooling rack and plate together and flipping them over. Cool to room temperature before cutting into the cake.
- Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar before serving.
- Wrap or cover the leftover cake and use it within 3 days.
- This recipe can be made in an 8-inch square pan with the same cooking temperature and time or made in a standard muffin tin and baked at 400˚F/205˚C for 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes